The mesothelium is the membrane that lines the abdominal area (tummy) and the chest. There are two main kinds of mesothelioma:
- Pleuramesothelioma – affecting the chest
- Peritoneum mesothelioma – affecting the abdomen
There are other kinds of mesothelioma known as pericardial mesothelioma (which affects the outside lining of the heart) and testicular mesothelioma (which affects the testicles).
Things to look out for
Symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Weight loss
- Fevers, high temperatures and night sweats
- A persistent cough
- Shortness of breath and/or an aching pain in the chest wall
- Pain and/or swelling in the abdomen
- Changes in your voice, such as hoarseness
These symptoms can be related to various other medical conditions but, due to the nature of cancer, it is advisable you speak to your doctor/consultant if you experience any of these symptoms.